If you’re looking to sell your home, you’ll want to make sure it’s in the best condition, so it will appeal to as many potential buyers as possible and help you get the highest price. Selling a home entails a whole lot more than just putting up a “For Sale” sign on the front lawn; it comes with its fair share of expenses.
Before you put your house up on the market, you’ll want to ensure you’re well prepared to ensure you put in the necessary work and are ready to pay the costs associated with preparing your home for the market. Take a look at our checklist.
Selling a home takes a lot of work, money, and time. Trust us when we say that failing to get a home inspection before listing the house is not a corner you should cut. Spending a little extra money for a seller home inspection can save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
As the seller, it’s a good idea to get the inspection done before listing; that way, you can fix or disclose all issues that come up before your buyers are unpleasantly surprised by them. Having the inspection done can put you in a good position for negotiations with buyers and allows you to price your home accurately with the inspection record to prove it.
Home Repairs and Necessary Renovations
If you’re a smart seller, you’ll want your home to be in the best shape possible. Though repairs and renovations can cost you a chunk of money that you may not have wanted to spend, otherwise, it can add value to your home when it comes to finding potential buyers.
However, necessary upgrades and repairs in combination with useful staging will have a great return. Here are our suggestions on areas to focus on:
- Damaged Flooring: any scratched-up wood flooring or outdated carpeting should be replaced. Installing new and updated flooring can significantly change the first impression potential buyers will have of the home. Swapping out old flooring for new hardwood could cost up to $5500, but can make an enormous difference.
- Water Stains: Many of us have learned to live with the results of the ugly water stains on our ceilings caused by plumbing issues. However, a water stain suggests that there could be many problems under the surface. It may also imply that the house has not been well maintained. Replacing stained ceilings can cost up to $670.
- Update Grout: Is your grout yellowing or cracking? Buyers will notice. Installing new grout can make old floors look as if they just came from a showroom. It’s a small fix, but with a significant impact. Simple bathroom re-grouting can cost anywhere from $1 to $2 per square foot. Or, depending on your skills – it could be a DIY project.
- Revive an Outdated Kitchen: A kitchen can be one of the essential features for a potential homebuyer. However, it doesn’t need to be expensive; you can simply enhance the look of an outdated kitchen by painting wood cabinets, updating appliances, or replacing countertops.
- Paint The Interior: It is imperative to have a clean, fresh entrance that will wow a potential buyer. Painting the interior of the house will help give a new look and set the mood. If your budget is limited – focus on the entrance, kitchen, and bathrooms. Remove old wallpapers and paint with neutral colors to showcase the features of each room.
When prospective buyers see your home for the first time, you want to ensure they can focus on the home’s best features while being able to visualize themselves living in the space. That’s where staging comes in. Staging creates a neutral environment by arranging furniture and decor to make a home as visually appealing to a wide range of buyers.
The average cost to hire a professional stager ranges anywhere from $2300 to $3200, you may also be able to save money and stage your home yourself, but you will have to invest the time to prepare and maintain each room.
Looking To Save Money? Sell To a Home Buying Company
The unfortunate reality is that no matter how much money you invest in your home before listing it on the market, there is still a chance it won’t be able to sell as fast as you’d like. There are instances where lending and financing does not fall through, making a potential deal go South.
However, there is a way to sell your house fast without investing in multiple repairs, inspections, and staging. I will Buy House is a homebuyer company, and we buy houses fast. When you work with us, you can save money as we buy houses for cash regardless of the condition. We offer solutions to homeowners looking to save time and money.
We buy houses, let us buy yours.